The U.S. Open, the Open, and the PGA have something in common. They have winners – champions – of a series of tournaments, ranked membership, rated membership.
Anybody can play the Masters. All you have to do is meet one of 19 requirements to be invited. Happy Gilmore wasn’t invited.
If You Could Vote…
The “Masters vs. U.S. Open: Which-is-better?” debate has been an ongoing clubhouse argument and appears regularly as golf magazine articles since it was the Augusta National Invitation Tournament in the ’30s. In fact, since 2013 there’s been an ongoing poll. You can cast your “vote” and/or view the results.
Because golf is a “gentleman’s” game, phrases like “wiped them out” or “shut them down and won by a mile” are uncommon. However, tallied votes indicate the Masters is a runaway.
Masters Biggest Major; Here’s Why
The Masters ranks first among most golfers and spectators. Some of the reasons are:
- Attendance – There are “crowds” at the U.S. Open. There are “patrons” at the Masters. The 2019 U.S. Open was a sellout. The 2019 Masters Tournament “declines to release” attendance information. And the holes are named after flowers.
- Course set-up – Depending on its location, the U.S. Open can be more treacherous than Augusta. “One time a season, I’m allowed to enjoy professional golfers squirming through a USGA-primed minefield disguised as a golf course,” said John Iaciofano
- Location, location, location – “I really want to play Pebble Beach, but before I die I have to play Augusta,” said Erik Peterson. “The worst holes at Augusta are still great.” The course is in terrific shape. Gary McCord once said, “I don’t think they mow these greens, I think they bikini-wax them.”
- Money – An open field ticket for the U.S. Open are from $32/day. By the end of the week, it’s from $196/day. Daily tickets for the Masters are $115. The U.S. Open payout is more than the Masters. But the Masters has the green jacket.
- Music – The Masters’ soothing “Augusta” is probably played in spas and psychiatric hospitals worldwide. “In Celebration of Man,” the U.S. Open theme sounds like “Rocky” on drugs. It’s annoying.
The Majors Are Magical
The Masters Tournament is rooted in tradition and has a unique character. The Masters is also the first of several exciting major golf tournaments every year.
The fact is, whether you’re a spectator or a player, being at any one of these golf tournaments is exciting and magical.